Best Blogger Tips

Monday 8 December 2008

Toronto Trip (Day 1)

It's been over a week since my last post. Unfortunately, life has been a bit crazy this past week. Between preparations for a mini-trip to Toronto and trying to deal with my anxieties over flying, blogging has been low on my list of priorities. There was one point last week where I was sure I was going to have to cancel the trip because of my fear of flying, but I managed to suck it up and headed off into the wild blue yonder. Now that I'm back home safe and sound, I thought I'd take a few moments to tell you all a bit about my adventures in Toronto with some of my family and friends.

This year for my sister in-law's 40th birthday, we all decided to go on a shopping trip to TO, and headed out on Wednesday morning for an extra long weekend. The flight up wasn't all bad - my doctor had prescribed Ativan which took the edge off the horrid anxiety attacks I was experiencing, so between that and a relaxation technique called Emotional Freedom Technique, the flight up was tolerable.

We were in the city by 10:30, so we checked in and headed to the CN Tower, located at Toronto's waterfront. Heights, another one of my phobias, was conquered when we road the glass elevators to the top - 113 stories - 342m. I did experience a bit of vertigo looking down, but the views were breathtakingly beautiful over looking the city and Lake Ontario. After the CN Tower we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the theater, we had tickets to see Dirty Dancing at the Royal Alexandra Theater. We had dinner pre-show at a nice restaurant called Alice Fazoolie's, great food but not recommended if you are in a hurry - the wait staff was slow taking our orders and the food took forever. Luckily, the theatre was only a block away and we managed to make it ten minutes before the show started.

"Nobody puts baby in a corner"- This show was AMAZING! Dirty Dancing is one of my very favorite movies ... I can watch this movie over and over and never get tired of it. Ashley Leggat, best known as Casey McDonald from the TV show Life with Derek, and Marcia from Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen, played Baby --She was fabulous along with all the other cast members. If your in Toronto in the near future, I recommend you get tickets to the show.

After the theatre, we had an enjoyable trip back to the hotel via cab with a friendly and funny driver. Overall, it was a fantastic day despite all the panic attacks and anxiety. And that concludes Day 1... stay tuned for Day 2 & 3.

6 comments:

LarryG said...

wow!
thanks for sharing your trip.

Anonymous said...

i don't really care for flying either...God Bless ativan for taking the edge off...but i'd be interested in hearing about the Emotional Freedom Technique, that sounds like something worth learning...i'll have to google it now...

sounds like a wonderful trip!

Shadow said...

two fears and you handled them beautifully! and your day simply marvellous!

cheatymoon said...

Pretty impressive conquering of fears. So cool that you use EFT. I have not used it on myself (and I should), but I've read a lot about it and a friend uses it w/ good success.

The trip sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see more photos on flickr.

Jack said...

Movie... I was skeptical when I first read about EFT but it really does work. Well, did for me anyway.

Shadow... I have never liked flying. I suppose, if I had my own pair of wings, I would love it...on a plane I feel so claustrophobic.

Thistle... God bless Ativan is right! I recommend looking up EFT and give it a try... Can't hurt, right?

Larry... Your quite welcome. Thanks for stopping by :)

Amber said...

My Mr. really dislikes flying as well, he requires the same Ativan prescrip to be able to board a plane too. I'm terrified of heights and get motion sick in elevators...WTG for making it to the top!