Best Blogger Tips

Monday 4 May 2009

Awards Galore

Last week I was given some very special awards from some lovely people in the blog community who I consider to be great friends. I had planned to post these last week but due to a few "acts of god", I wasn't able to give this post the full attention it deserves.

I am honored to accept the following:


This first award is from the very charming LarryG over at Yesterday, Today and Forever. Thank you friend!

Larry's blog is a wonderful breath of fresh air, from his eloquent poetry to his Thursday Feature - Love Letters, his little spot is sure to please. Pop on over and pay my wonderful friend Larry a visit and tell him Jack sent ya.

The following rules came with this "Friends" prize:
“These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."
  1. Only A Movie
  2. Pseudonymous High School Teacher
  3. Thistles and Maple Leaves
  4. Nuts & Mutton
  5. Madeleine's Book Blog
  6. Still Water Runs Deep which I know is his first award ;)

This second award -- Noblesse Oblige -- that I'm so humbly honored to receive, comes from Don't Worry It's Only A Movie. Thank you girl!
Movie is such an inspiring person being a teacher and mentor to children with special needs, she is a hero in my books. Her Blog is well written and she has a unique sense of humor to boot; if you haven't been to her blog yet, you simply must stop by for a visit today.

The recipient of this award is recognized for the following:

1) The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.
2) The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage, and offers solutions.
3) There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture, Sciences, and Beliefs.
4) The Blog is refreshing and creative.
5) The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following steps:

1) Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
2) The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
3) Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older posts to support.
4) The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
5) Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

Slightly Off-Center Achievements:

I started writing my blog last February as a web diary of sorts. At the time I was going though an illness that required me to have radiation treatments which left me radiotoxic and quarantined from my family for weeks at a time (no, I didn't glow or have special powers -- that is what my youngest thought...hehe!). Having a ton of time on my hands I started reading blogs and BB's for suggestions and advice from people who where going though the same illness that I was battling. I found so many fantastic blogs and communities on the web that inspired me to start a web journal of my own. At first I didn't know what direction I would go with my blog, all I knew was I didn't want my blog to dwell on my illness, treatments, appointment or doctors; I just wanted to journal about everyday life. I guess I started Slightly Off-Center as a distraction of sorts, a way to keep my mind off other issues I was dealing with...and it worked!

Mostly this blog is mishmash of topics from my daily life, but lately Slightly Off-Center has been heading in a more creative direction featuring some of my digital art and photography ... Jack of all trades - Master of none. But that is was is great about blogging and being part of a blog community; you don't have to be an experienced writer, photographer or artist to be appreciated - you can just be yourself.

I think any one of the blogs I follow would be great recipients for this award but today I am only going to choose two blogs this time.

I award Noblesse Oblige to:
LarryG from Yesterday, Today and Forever (see above)
Shadow from 1 door away from heaven

Two amazing writers of poetry that will surely leave you breathless.

8 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Well congrats, because you do deserve tons of recognition. Your blog is so cool.

Thanks for this one too. :-) Very sweet of you.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Congrats on your achievement. :) You DO show remarkable talent and skill (in my humble opinion) and I always look forward to your posts.

Amber said...

hooray for awards! WTG :o)

Shadow said...

sweetheart, wow! how your blog came about is a blessing, 'cause i sure look forward to seeing your posts. and you say you didn't know which direction it should take? well, you've done it just right! and thank you so much for the award. i consider it an honour for it to be awarded by you!

LarryG said...

awww shucks Jack!
thanks a heap...
you are one sweet friend <3

kayerj said...

congratulations on your awards, especially the second. I enjoyed reading your story and getting to know you a little better :)

Thanks for thinking of me, I've posted the award, but since I'm running so much this week--it might take me a few days to pass it on. Thanks again

Lee said...

Congratulations on being recipient of two perfect awards for you :) I really enjoy visiting your blog. You're right ... and I like that you are yourself :)

Tessa said...

Aw gee shucks. You shouldn't have. No really. You shouldn't have. Now I have to find eight more bloggers ... Seriously, thanks, Jack. It may take a while, but I will try to pass it along. And you richly deserve both awards. Well done.